Sunday, September 25, 2011

Per asper ad astra - in pursuit of Jupiter.

Apparently I don't have any luck. Yesterday evening sky was clear, stars shone bright and I was getting ready to photograph Jupiter. Due to condition in my garden I could've done it just around midnight and only for 40 minutes. On the east side I have two tall trees and they block the view of the Jupiter completely (it rises on the east sky around 20.30 now) but there is a gap between them. And that gives me these approx. forty minutes of shooting opportunities. Of course around midnight sky wasn't clear anymore, and the same as for the past two weeks I've done nothing.  Ehh ... next time ... maybe.

But night wasn't wasted completely. If you look up at east sky you can see Pleiades also called Seven Sisters.  The Pleiades are a prominent sight in winter in the Northern Hemisphere and in summer in the Southern Hemisphere, and have been known since antiquity to cultures all around the world, including the Māori, Aboriginal Australians, the Persians, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Maya, the Aztec, and the Sioux and Cherokee [1]. What's also important you don't need any astronomical instruments to see them. Of course from the city centre, with all that light pollution view is not so impressive. But it's one of few Deep Sky Object you can see from your garden.

The bellow picture I found on NASA website. It shows you beauty of Seven Sisters and what you can achieve with long time exposures and photographs stacking. Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment